Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fighting The Bias

In 3 years of my trading career, I trade with bias. So after market open usually I had perception where the market would go. I was right most of the time but wrong timing most of the time. I realized as a daytrader I must have no bias.
Last bias I had I was bullish on oil and I was right. The only problem I was earlier 2 days. After a mental breakdown I cannot stand the bias no more.

In May I only entered what my signal tells me. I don't care what the market is doing. I just stick to the plan and so be it.

I am not saying having the bias is bad, but not for me. What I mean about bias is when you collect sort of information especially from news and making decision based on that. Following signals from your chart is not a bias. I was bullish on oil and so confidence the price will breach $90. But what happened next I was stopped hundredth times and being tilt when the market soared to the sky.

Maybe some good trader having a bias and success with it, like Jim Roger or George Soros. Every fundamental trader of course has a bias. But how you can compete with them when they had the best informants in the world?

Right now I had a good indicator purely on price action. I learned from one of the good trader and buy his special program (less than half the price). Sadly the program was over. You may see his blog in the bloglist (A****nP). I don't have affiliation on him but I know he is a good role model of day trader. Well every trader that survived 10 years in the market considered to be good. I am not saying the indicator is a holy grail. I just say that with a good discipline I may getting profit purely based on the indicator.

For new traders I recommended to learn Price Action as it's the core of trading. I made the analogy that learning Price Action is like learning how to forecast the weather. It's not 100% right but indeed right most of the time. With a good discipline and no bias, I think you may survive even in the first time you start your career.

I wish I had mentor who intensively check the weekly progress my paper trading and give advice how to improve. But I'd like to become one someday after I settle with my trading. I just want to help new traders out there so the don't have bad experience like me. Of course right now all I could do is share my thought. Nobody want to learn from loser anyway :( But I learned my mistakes and all I have to do is don't repeat it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment